Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On Darkness

No pictures today, because my camera was out of batteries.

Things I learned today by forgetting my umbrella:

1). Cobblestones can be veeerry slippery, especially when it is too rainy/foggy to see more than two feet in front of you.
2). The new jacket I scavenged from the laundry room is warm, but not water proof.
3). My backpack isn't waterproof either.

Still, this is the first day in a while that has given me cause to complain about the weather. Most of the Finns I've talked to have told me that it's been unseasonably dry, if not unseasonably warm (a low of 34 tomorrow, then below freezing from Friday on!).

Only now am I realizing just how north I am- even though Turku is at the SW tip of Finland, it is at around the same latitude as Anchorage, Alaska!

Sunset was at 4:28 PM today, and comes about 2.5 minutes earlier per day. It doesn't sound like a whole lot, but it means that by next Wednesday, the sun will be setting at 4:11 PM. On Thanksgiving, the sun will set at 3:39 PM. It's hard to get used to. Last night I went to bed at 7:00 pm, and if I didn't have clocks I would have easily mistaken it for three in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment